Old 11-09-10, 12:01 PM
z90

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker 2010 , Felt Z90 2008, Rans Rocket 2001, Specialized Hardrock 1989

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Near-accident is pretty subjective, so it's hard to compare my experience with others there. Is a close pass a "near accident"? If so, how close?

As for accidents involving a car, I've only had one, and it was 20 years ago. I t-boned a car. I was coming down a hill and saw him waiting to pull out of a parking lot that was ahead and to my right. I moved to the center of the lane, sat up, covered my brakes and made eye-contact with the driver. When I made eye contact I relaxed a little. Then he pulled out. I hit the brakes, but still hit the front quarter-panel of his Trans-am hard enough to bend the fork and frame of my Schwinn Le Tour and dent his car. I was basically unhurt but very adrenalized. Normally I am low key and mild mannered, but before I knew what happened I was on my feet, half way into his open window, cussing him up one side and down the other. He was very contrite and apologetic. Once I got a grip on myself I sat down, and I couldn't stop my hands from shaking. In a post-adrenaline state, not thinking clearly, I told him I was fine and he could go. Lesson learned, never do that. I ended up with a broken bike and no one to pay for it.