Old 11-18-10, 12:14 PM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
Keith, you are going to have some fantastic wheels! Nice score on the rims. Never heard of Saavedra...or any bicycle parts manufacturer from Argentina, for that matter. I hope you enjoy your tubulars. I know you will. I am certain you will feel the road as never before and relish in the craft of maintaining tubulars.

But I have just decided to henceforth cease proselytizing to the clincher crowd. The market for tubulars is pretty erratic and there is a reason: demand for vintage rims has waned. Why else do you see bundles of them practically given away at swap meets or handed out at bike shops for the cost of new Pearl Isumi socks? Rims being one of the parts most susceptible to damage, I fear a resurgence in the interest tubulars may drain the the supply of nice vintage tubular wheels/rims--and posts such as this are not helping in the least. I better get myself a stash before you start splashing around photos of the wheels.
Yeah, watch out. I have seriously been considering grabbing some old tubular rims of my own for a weight weenie race wheelset. I'm feeling a little a ashamed that I recently sold a nice mavic tubular set that was so light. To those of you considering a trip to the WW dark side, do it. Light stuff rocks.