Old 11-22-10, 04:24 AM
psmiffy

Bikes: Thorn Exp, Marin Commuter, Giant Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by imi
nuff said... I read a story (here?) about a guy getting detained and questioned for having a fixed blade knife in his CHECKED IN baggage when he was just in TRANSIT through Heathrow!
He missed his connection and had to buy a new ticket...

"Offence: It is an offence for any person, without lawful authority or good reason, to have with him in a public place, any article which has a blade or is sharply pointed except for a folding pocket-knife which has a cutting edge to its blade not exceeding 3 inches."

Source: http://www.police-information.co.uk/...ndexeng.html#K
True - on person in public place or without good reason

However I have flown regularly out of British airport with all my touring caboodle including in my cutlery a small sharp belt knife for cutting bread and filleting fish/boning meat in my checked in hold luggage

The UK rules clearly state that it is permissable in hold luggage - what on earth was going on in the example above is anybodies guess.

As to flying with the bike as people have said above - you need to know the rules for the airline you are travelling with and have a hard copy of them at the check in - In theory the rules applying at the time you bought your ticket should apply - It is a contract after all - however, in practice you could be standing there arguing the toss after the plane has gone so making sure you have the most up to date copy is vital - particularly for the return trip.

Also make sure that you are at the front of the queue when you check in - if there is a problem - or if they think there is a problem then they are less likely to be sympathetic if your stuff is going to hold up loading up the plane - also in my experience much less likely to get charged XS luggage.

As someone said above British Airways for crossing the Atlantic is pretty good for bikes - fares can be higher but definetly less hassle all the way round