View Single Post
Old 11-28-10, 02:47 AM
IknowURider

Bikes: 1991 Tomassini Prestige 1973 Raliegh Supercourse, 1975 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1983 Fuji S-12, 1975 Motobecane Mirage, 1983 Motobecane Super Mirage 1999 Trek 930 1989 Trek 930 ,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by brianinc-ville
I totally feel the resentment everybody's chewing on here, and I know it's hard to choke down the anger, but if you're going to take the high road (and actually do something good for cyclists), how about something like:

"Yeah, we need to get more law-abiding folks like YOU out on bikes. In places where biking is a normal, average way to get around, people are more likely to follow the rules and less likely to act freaky. Here's my card -- call me if you want someone to show you the good bike routes around town."

or

"You sound like you care a lot about traffic safety. Why don't you become a League Cycling Instructor? Or at least donate some money to your local bike advocacy group to subsidize safe cycling classes?"

or

"Yeah, a big part of the problem is that almost nobody in the US gets a driver's ed class for biking. Can you help us out by pressuring the local school board to make safe traffic cycling part of the high school curriculum?"

or, if you'd rather,

"Yeah, if we're ever going to get really safe roads, like the Netherlands, we'll need to stop paying lip service to bike safety and invest some major cash in safe separated infrastructure. Will you lobby your congressperson?"

In other words, "YOU'RE EITHER PART OF THE PROBLEM OR PART OF THE SOLUTION. HOW 'BOUT HELPING OUT, BUDDY?" But don't say it like that.
not bad. I do like the positive angle. I will admit It's tough to take that route all the time when I'm just not in the mood to engage with strangers on a complex political issue. I tried to post something a couple hours ago, but my IE dropped me. It was more of a "qualification" type of thing where you try to feel out their intentions and where the conversation is headed. If you know they are supportive of cycling in general in the beggining, the exchange is easier. If they are not supportive, you can end the conversation diplomatically without going on the defensive.