Old 11-29-10, 05:09 PM
guthriepc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Restoring a 1974 Schwinn Le Tour

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the forums considering my newfound interest in biking... thanks for having me! I was recently passed down a 1974 Schwinn Le Tour (A423364), pictures at end of post, from my dad that he got from a garage sale for 5 dollars as a teenager. The only thing I've replaced thus far is the tubes, and it rides pretty well considering it's condition, but could definitely use some more fixing up. I don't want to pay anything outrageous for parts because I wanted to use this bike to sort of get my feet wet and learn the basics of maintenance and eventually restoring it completely. I was just wondering if anyone had tips on multiple points such as... what parts would be most imperative to upgrade first (wheels, drive train, brakes/brake kit, etc...)? What is the best way to go about cleaning rust? What are some recommended stores online to order said parts from?

Honestly any information regarding the maintenance of this particular bike would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot for your time!