khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
Keith (or anyone else, for that matter), a few questions:

1. How long would you estimate you spend sanding with each grit--say, for example, if you were sanding a non-drive crank arm?
2. Have you ever given the full treatment to a pair of rims? Any concerns with effects on the braking surface?
3. Do you wear any gloves, and, if not, how do you clean your hands afterward?

Thanks for the great thread!
Originally Posted by miamijim
1. Just a few minutes or less with each grit. Always sand in the 'long' direction in straight lines
2. Rims, I buff away but try not to go too overboard on the sidewalls. The entire sanding buffing polishing routine removes very little metal.
3. No gloves. Dawn dish detergent.
miamijim got it right but I'll chime in too:

1) Longer with the bigger grits, less with the smaller but yeah, 2-3 minutes with each. When working with the bigger grits I'll do more "cross sanding"...sand one direction for a while, then the other...I think the paper cuts quicker doing that. But agreeing with miamijim, last strokes should always be long with the part.
2) I've not yet, but that will happen someday. I do refresh the brake tracks on rims with the abrasive ball. Clean 'em up, then a quick pass with the medium ball.
3) No gloves. Citrus-based hand cleaner from Northern Tool (need some too, thanks for reminding me)