Old 12-01-10, 04:09 PM
powerhouse

Bikes: Trek 850 Antelope

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One day on vacation, I was riding up the Cadilac Mountain Road in Maine. It's a long, narrow, and winding road which often has steep drops. Cadilac Mountain is known for its lovely views as well as it being the first place that the sun touches in America's day, so many tourists from all over the world come to see them every year. That day, I was riding as far over to the right I deemed safe: on the many turns up the mountain, there was not much space between the side of the asphalt and the precipice of a steep cliff. In their process of approaching me, most motorists usually decreased their speed until it was safe to pass me.

But one guy decided not to. The driver of a long-distance tour bus (like greyhound buses) chose not to slow down and came within 6 inches of hitting me. The wash of his vehicle was so strong that it brought me close to going over the precipice. After stopping and collecting my wits, I took off up the remainder of the road with energy I didn't know I had. When I reached the top, the bus was parked with its driver but without passengers. I rode up and proceeded to have a conversation with him using words that I can't use on the internet. When it comes to the basic paraphrased question as to why he came so close to hitting me and/or causing me to go over a cliff, he told me I was too far out in the road and that he didn't care about what happened.

I could have notified the Mount Desert Island Park Police, but he and his bus would have been gone by the time they got there.