View Single Post
Old 05-22-05, 07:33 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by muccapazza
Um, guys guys, guys, chill a little, let's not get our knickers all bent of shape up on our high horsies.
It's OK. But I have read a few journals of people riding bikes across the US who have set out with the prime aim of doing it so cheap... they don't even have the resources to start with and end up pretty well begging from the get-go.

FWIW, I toured Northern Europe towards the end of 2003 with bike and gear set-up totally less than 30kg (as judged by the weight of the airport scales, less the weight of the box, but adding back the stuff in my backpack). That included tent and cooking gear. There is nothing like hefty monetary penalties for overweight luggage to make sure you are within weight limits.

Of course, I also ride the ultimate form of lightweight touring: randonnees -- two 1200s and a 1000, and a plethora of shorter ones. While some discount them as touring, I don't -- simply on the basis that they have allowed me to experience places I would not otherwise have experienced. And to a large extent, I have either had to support myself, or pay for the privilege of support.

I should also note that no-one on this forum was ever in my sights with previous comments...