View Single Post
Old 12-04-10, 03:47 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by badamsjr
I agree with this in theory, but would point out that part of the lubing process is to flush out particulates that are usually picked up when riding in inclement conditions.
There are two sets of opinions on this. Many, myself included, feel that adding lube to a dirty chain is just as likely or even more likely to carry freshly acquired surface grit into the chain as it is to flush anything out. It's a complex dynamic, and depends on what lube is already on the chain, and what and how much is added in the flushing process.

Just as you put on your raincoat before going outdoors, and not after you get home, the key (IMO) is to weather proof your chain in advance, rather than dealing with it after you get home. The right chain oil will totally keep water and the silt it carries out of the chain where it won't cause harm. This is borne out by the experience of tens of thousands of all condition mountain bikers, commuters and touring cyclists all over the world. Waiting until you get home might be OK for a short ride, but doesn't make sense for someone riding long distances in the rain over several hours.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.