Old 12-04-10, 06:30 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
How heavy are you!!!!!!

Seriously, just to clarify, are you saying it shifts OK in the stand, but not while riding?

If so, it's fairly common. First try shifting while riding but with minimum pedal pressure and see if that makes a difference.

Getting the cage to move further out for crisp upshifting involves either or both of two adjustments. You have to determine whether the cable isn't moving it far enough or if the outer limit is restricting it too much. Hop back onto the bike and thy shifting by pulling the bare wire away from the frame. If that makes a difference, then your cable needs to be pulled a bit tighter. This is easy if you have a barrel adjuster on the lever on in-line, otherwise loosen the pinch bolt and pull some cable down (shift to the inner first, so you're not fighting the spring).

If it won't shift even if you pull on the D/T wire back off the limit a hair, and try again. Once you have it shifting well using the "override" then see if it's OK by lever. If not reset the cable tension as I described earlier.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.