Old 12-06-10, 05:55 AM
tizeye 

Bikes: 1985 Falcon, 2008 Jamis Dakota Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert Foster
Mostly you are getting some pretty good advice. Just remember the frame material isn't as important as the fit and the components. If the bike fits and you like how it rides get it but try it first. You didn’t mention your budget so a good rule of thumb is get as good of a bike as you can afford. Like one of the other posters I have had everything from Sora to Dura ace I now prefer SRAM but wouldn’t kick Shimano off my bike. The single best investment I have ever made was better wheels. But newer sifters will make the riding experience so much better even if you get an 8 or 9 speed cassette.
+1 THIS!
- fit
-upgrade costs

I still ride a 1986 Falcon (531c steel, downtube shifters, etc) I purchased new. Garaged and little rust which is something you need to be concerned about with steel.

Fiit back in 86, but with age one shinks and that topbar is getting very close with no clearance at standover. Only reason I can still ride it is that topbars were shorter back then so not stretched out.

Major upgrade 7 years ago made HUGE difference (unfortunately), but I didn't have the recent outlay of cash to acquire the bike. When you are shopping, it is not how much the bike costs, but what is the total costs. Other than general maintenance - which may have been neglected on the bike you are looking at - the upgrades were 1) built mavic open pro wheels and of course put decent tubes and tires on them, and 2) while you can find uber-expensive hubs for freewheels, the Campy Chorus hubs required cassette so I upgraded from a 6sp freewheel to 9sp cassette and of course a chain and rear Centaur derailer. Thankfully, front crank and deraileur were OK with the downtube friction shifters. You could so that upgrade with a steel frame which will spread 0.4mm for the wider hub, but forget it with aluminum.

Absolutely a great ride - comfortable for a century. The upgrade was a huge improvement, and while I do have frame flex, the downside is that it took away my rationalizations of why I needed a new bike.