View Single Post
Old 12-11-10, 01:28 PM
cooleric1234

Bikes: CAAD9-1, Windsor Cliff 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Titanium has held a certain allure for me too. For the superficial, I prefer the look of metal frames. I like that there is no worrying about rust and no need to paint it. I have considered steel as well, I'm looking for a comfortable bike for n+1. Of course the durability is probably the major advantage.

But in those moments when I'm honest with myself I really wonder if Titanium or steel actually is more comfortable than carbon. Of course, it's true that it depends on the bike and geometry. But let's say a Roubaix or a Synapse or a Jamis Endura Xenith. I have a hard time finding out if a sportive, relaxed geometry steel or Ti bike would beat those for comfort and stiffness. I kind of doubt it. I think the allure of Ti is more that it's just something different, which is great when you're looking at your bike or others are looking at it but makes no difference for the actual experience when your butt is in the saddle and you're riding (unless there's a placebo effect going on, which I don't doubt...I think my bike is comfortable because it's Ti).

Having said that, if someone were to give me a Soul Destiny Ti bike I wouldn't complain :-)