lphilpot
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
A couple of milestones today: 1) Our first 5 mile ride together; and 2) our first time "out in the wild" (i.e., venturing out of the neighborhood).
That's great news about the ride (and not so good about your LBS)!!

When I got my bike last spring, we bought a Trek Pure Lowstep (14" frame) for my wife, who is about a foot shorter than me. I'd really like for us to get out and ride together more. We, along with our daughter, go out to a local park area across town and ride some, but it requires a bit of logistics, what with "scheduling" a time for all three of us, attaching the (70 pound!) Hollywood Sportrider 3-bike rack to our Odyssey, loading up, etc., etc., etc. I always end up feeling as if I'm having to push the whole event too much. It's always fun in the end, but it would be nice to be able to just jump out on the road and ride on a moment's notice.

Trouble is, outside of the 0.6 mile loop of our neighborhood (which is currently a bit too hilly for my wife, not to mention so short it's boring), there's a VERY busy 5-lane (4+turn lane) highway to contend with between our neighborhood and anywhere decent for this kind of riding. There are very few cyclists in our area and bike lanes are unknown, so motorists are definitely not looking out for us. In fact, I knew a guy who was killed on this very road several years ago. Needless to say, I've not even asked her to venture out there, although I may give it shot before too long.