View Single Post
Old 12-12-10, 08:43 PM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
I've done the car rental thing a bunch of times, most recently this past October to get to and from the GAP trail in Maryland/Pittsburgh. Most small cars nowadays, even sedans, have rear seats that fold down and can pretty easily fit a single touring bike with the wheels off. I've had success with rental cars including a Nissan Versa, Ford Focus, and Chevy Aveo.

In Europe, we almost always rent a car to transport our tandem (and, this summer, our triplet!). We've been able to fit it in most small to midsize station wagons, like a Ford Focus or Mondeo wagon, or a Opel Astra or Vectra wagon. In fact, this past summer, we hauled around our triplet, us two adults, and our son, plus all baggage for two weeks, INSIDE a Ford Mondeo. I was surprised.

Don't forget to check the local offices of major car rental places like Hertz. Often they have better rates than airport locations because you don't have to pay airport surcharges. And, often, they will even pick you up if you give them notice (nice at the end of a tour!).