Old 12-19-10, 06:36 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Since it seems to be a case of an overwhelming variety of choices, then maybe the old advice, "shop for a store, then shop for their bike" is the place to start. That eliminates a lot of choices right there.

Your second requirement--sticker under a grand--also eliminates a whole lot of choices.

By then you should be down to only three or four choices. At that point, just go with your gut. Over-analyzing will lead only to buyer's remorse. You'll be unhappy with whatever you buy.

Instead, take a stab at it, and make the decision to like the bike, even if it turns out to be completely wrong for you. You *will* learn from the experience and be able to refine you choices for the next bike.

Remember, the purpose of your first bike is to teach you what you want and need in your second bike. Likewise, your second bike is there to teach you what you want and need in your third bike.

Instead of wallowing in indecision, become a willing student.

My first bike was completely wrong for me, although I had no way of knowing that. While my eye kept being drawn to road bikes, my practical, over-analytical side followed the LBS's advice for an over-50s guy who wanted to ride three or four miles to work. I left with a hybrid, which I later figured out was a size too small besides.

It was completely the wrong bike for me. It was heavy, slow, handled like a barge, and climbed like it was dragging an anvil uphill. Yet, I put 3,850 miles on that bike while I had it, 3,500 of them before I bought a second bike. And despite the mismatch, I enjoyed nearly every mile.

I was still unsure when I bought the second bike, so I went used. I waited for the right thing to come along--a road bike, 58cm frame, that needed some work, and had contemporary STI shifters. I didn't want downtube shifters.

On paper--with its race geometry, low front-end, skinny tires and all--it's a crummy choice for a commuter. I love it. It even had rack and fender eyelets. Four years and 6,000 miles later, it's still one of my favorite rides.

Yet, it wasn't "perfect", something you seem to be looking for. But it taught me what to look for in my next bike, and nine months later, I was confident enough to drop just over two grand (including rack and accessories) on my beloved Portland.

And you know what? That bike isn't "perfect" either. It's a wonderful ride, and if I could own only one bike, that would be the one, but there are things about it I would prefer to be different. BFD.

My fourth and fifth bikes have each taught me new things as well.

Although you'd never hear someone give the advice to buy an all-out criterium racing bike for inner city commuting, my crit bike (the 4th) is a hoot to ride in the daily slice-and-dice of stop-and-go city traffic. I arrive at work not just smiling, but laughing. I'm not tired from racing cars, I'm full of P&V, ready to start my day. No rack or fenders or mounts for them either, yet for the days when I'm not hauling stuff, it's a great "commuter".

My point here is "commuter" is not a style of bike, it's a ride that you take. You seem to be drawn to sportier rides than you already have. Go with that feeling. You have a fallback in the bike you already own. You can afford a little experimentation with your next bike.

So whittle down the choices of shops, whittle down the choices within your chosen shop, and decide based on what you think you need the bike to *teach* you. Write the check--call it tuition if you want--and begin your lessons. With an attitude like that, even the wrong bike will be the right choice.

Last edited by tsl; 12-19-10 at 06:43 PM.