Old 12-19-10, 09:21 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Question for the Sturmey Archer Gurus: can I convert a 4-sp to a 3-sp?

Okay, I don't know how to do it, but I know you can convert a four speed hub such as an FW (wide-range four speed hub) or the FG (wide range four speed hub with dynamo) to a five speed like an S5.

I know the advantage of the four - speed hub is that it works with one shifter, but the disadvantage is that that shifter is getting hard to find and wears out prematurely. I also know the disadvantage of the five speed hub is that it requires two shifters and may require parts, such as a bell crank, that are hard to find.

So, my question, is can you take a four speed hub and convert it to an ultra-wide range three speed hub? So you'd end up with a hub that has the 1, 3 and 5 gears of the five speed hub, but needs only one shifter-- the garden variety three-speed trigger?

Don't tell me I wouldn't like that, because the gears would be too widely spaced. This may be true; but that's not what I'm asking. I only want to know if it's possible. If it is possible, I'd probably run that hub with two cogs, spaced 4 teeth apart, so I'd have an ultra-wide range six-speed system.

So, esteemed Sturmey Archer gurus... what do you think?