Old 12-21-10, 06:58 AM
GriddleCakes
Tawp Dawg

Bikes: '06 Surly Pugsley, '14 Surly Straggler, '88 Kuwahara Xtracycle, '10 Motobecane Outcast 29er, '?? Surly Cross Check (wife's), '00 Trek 4500 (wife's), '12 Windsor Oxford 3-speed (dogs')

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, the Nokians are ice tires, not snow tires. The only thing that helps in snow is float, so the 294s are no more snow tires than any other 2.1" MTB tire. Really, the only tires on the market that could conceivably be considered a snow tires are Surly's Endomorph and Larry tires, super wide and capable of being run at low (5 psi) pressure. And, as your fellow Minnesotan observed, even they have their limits.

FWIW, I run Nokian 294s and love 'em. They suck on dry pavement, but I rarely encounter dry pavement anytime between mid-November and early April. I do see a lot of rutted ice, bumpy ice, and glassy smooth ice. For the first two, the Nokians make the ride as comfortable as any high stud count tire can; and for the last, the 294s make it downright fun, allowing me to pour on the speed and ride like I'm running slicks on pavement (until I have to turn, that is).

Tips for riding in the snow? I no expert (don't ride the Iditasport or anything like that), I'm just a bike commuter and this is probably more opinion than fact, but here you go:

1. Know your limits, and your tolerances. I'll ride at 4 miles an hour, for short distances that I'd probably be walking anyway, with the hope of catching an intermittent tire track or two and knowing that I'll be going nowhere fast. But I won't ride in +4" of dense snow, or +8" of light snow, because I know that I'll be moving at a walking pace or less, and at twice the work. I've got both a 4WD truck and a bus pass, plus an intolerance for committing more that an hour each way for commuting, which means that sometimes the bike stays home.

2. Know where the plows are. Probably your city has a plowing plan, and if you're lucky it's on the city's website. Know where the plows hit first, which roads are given priority, where the sidewalks are going to be cleared and where they will be plowed under. If this info isn't available online, then just pay attention and remember. Watch for cleared roads and sidewalks even if you drive or ride the bus.

3. Keep a weather eye open. Sure it's only 2" of fluffy powder now, but is the forecast for increasing temps and further accumulation? Will it be rideable in 8 hours when it's time to head home? Is the overnight for 10F and accumulation of up to 8"? Get up early and ride to work. Is it for 31F and accumulation of up to 4"? Sleep in and drive. Density can make a world of difference. As can wind. Even 10F snow can pile into horribly dense and unrideable wind drifts.

4. Give yourself plenty of time, and learn alternate routes. Extra time will pay off when you need to backtrack to a different route. Always carry a book, for when your time cushion lands you at work 20 minutes early.

5. Drop your tire pressure as low as it will go, to get as much float and traction as you can. Unless you think that your tires will be able cut through the snow down to the ice or pavement beneath, in which case, pump 'em up.

6. Know the underlying surface. 6" of fluff on top of glare ice? Be careful when there's just enough snow to pull your studs off the ice, but it's still slick enough to send you sprawling. 3" of dense on hardpack? HTFU and ride, you'll be happier for it, and proud of yourself to boot. 3" of dense on 3" of plow chunder? Hey, scraping car windows ain't so bad, plus you get to enjoy a heated ride for once.

7. Packed snow can be worse than unpacked snow. If you're having a hard time following a foot or tire track, try the untouched snow on the side. Plow chunder is pretty much a walk.

8. Be prepared to walk. Wear warm boots and wool socks, and carry extra warm gloves/mittens and a heavy coat in a pannier or backpack. Sometimes it's only for a brief while, like maybe just this block. Sometimes it's halfway to work, but if you follow the preceding rules, this should be rare.

Originally Posted by AEO
how low did you go in tire pressure?

riding on car tire packed snow requires some skill, confidence and quick reflexes.
riding in 6 inches of snow is basically impossible with tires. break out the skies or snow shoes.
I rode in 6" on and off for about 8 miles tonight. It fell this morning and afternoon at 15F to 10F, and was almost as light as air. Except for about 50 feet of plowed over sidewalk on an uphill that I had to walk, just before home. It's amazing how plows can transform 6" of 'no worries' into 3" of 'don't bother'.

Oh yeah, OP, riding in soft snow is an acquired skill. If you're washing out, gear down and keep your weight in the saddle. If the front tire is wrenching side to side, relax and slightly loosen your grip, while trying to keep it pointed forward. And don't put a foot down until you are really, really falling over. The more slides that you ride out of, the better a rider you become. Good luck!

Last edited by GriddleCakes; 12-21-10 at 07:02 AM.