View Single Post
Old 12-21-10, 03:50 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
That looks like a pretty decent bike. I don't think buying a new $600 or $700 bike is going to get you that much of an improvement. I think your plan to upgrade the tires is good. As has been said before, buying used saddles can save you a lot of money. However, saddles are a very personal thing. What someone else thinks is the greatest, you may think is the worst. My ATF MTB saddle is the upgraded Specialized Body Geometry saddle. I have no trouble finding them used because others buy them then decide they don't like them. The most I've paid for a $80 saddle is $10.
Here's something to consider, go to an LBS that allows you to use a demonstrator saddle for a couple of days (usually requires a deposit or purchase of the saddle that is fully refundable). This way you can try a few saddles, then buy a the one you like, new.
If the Iquana was my bike, I wouldn't replace it, I'd put that money into a used (or new) upgraded fork.