View Single Post
Old 12-24-10, 06:07 AM
john423
Rain, rain go away

Bikes: 2009 Schwinn Sierra GS; 2010 Specialized Allez Elite Compact; 2009 Jamis Coda Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SortaGrey
"Biking for the Rest of Us" ..........YES.... DO IT!

The many like some company doing most everything... not me. I've been on a few enjoyable group rides back when... more about the genders getting together really. All in all it was a bore... all the <10 mph and chatter... geez Louise. Did get a chance to encourage a few weak/new riders... fixing seat level and all that. Sorta like trolling with a bike it was... in the end.

Sure it'd be nice to have company ....sometimes. Yet then you have routes to compromise on... schedules to match... speed would have to nearly match. LOTS and lots to be said for being an individual.

NEVER clipless here. Bikie nonsense... if you have a drop of qualms about it... just don't. Let the herd be just that.
Yeah, there's lots to be said for being an individual. But there's also lots to be said for being in a group, building friendships and bases of support. And how many people would like to get more into bicycling, but are scared off thinking they have to be Lance Armstrong with the silly shorts and the crazy shirts and the $4,000 bicycles? There's room in this for everybody, and you shouldn't have to be a hardcore road biking snob just to get together with others for rides and you shouldn't be looked down on because you don't know everything about bicycling right off the bat.

I get a little crazy on rides by myself, frankly - it's just me and my thoughts, and that by no means is always a good thing.