dashuaigeh
grad stud.

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Having sequestered myself in the east my entire life, pictures like these and from other C&V westerners, make me pine for the days of retirement when I can rent a place out west for a few months each year. Each time I return from a trip west, I cannot wait to return.
The west coast is quite fantastic, but I've found the midwest holds places that are just as beautiful, and not nearly as crowded. Hope you get a chance to make an extended trip sometime

Originally Posted by auchencrow
Wow dashuaigeh. These are some of the most spectacular biking shots I have ever seen !

(I can't imagine what it is like to ride down a long ribbon of Hwy without getting flattened by an SUV. )
Thanks, Auchen! Let me tell, you it's exhilarating . Though not so much in the rain.

Originally Posted by anomaly
Given your photo locations I take it you stayed in Furnace Creek, am I right?

We got rained on during the Death Valley Double in October, it was pretty surreal to get rained on in such a place.

The Ubehebe crater is pretty amazing as it is so drastically different than anything else in the northern end of the park. The black sands as you ride in were especially neat to me. Sadly I got there just before dusk and was feeling pretty rough due to the previous 130 miles so I didn't take much time to check it out. Oh well, next year.
Yep, furnace creek - though I'm much more a fan of Stovepipe Wells, honestly. Furnace Creek seemed a bit crowded and busy. The rain is a bit surreal; I went last winter, and it was a gorgeously empty sky. Very dry, clear air. This was such a shock to me this year (blast you global warming, or whatever causes weird weather).

I'm amazed you did 130 miles on bike there. I would have loved to ride up to the Ubehebe, but our female companion wasn't able to make long rides very easily. Did you stay close by, at Mesquite Spring?

Originally Posted by wrk101
Nice pics, thanks for sharing. I've been to Death Valley many times, but never on a bicycle. I need to put that on my short list.
My pleasure! It seemed more difficult to get around on a bicycle than I had thought it would be. The park is extremely spread out - next time, I'll budget far more time than just 3 1/2 days, but I was constrained by Christmas this year. If you're coming from around the east coast (NC, I take it?) they do have bike rentals there now, which can save quite a bit of time and trouble if you're willing to shell out the extra cash.

Last edited by dashuaigeh; 12-27-10 at 11:21 AM.