Old 12-27-10, 03:38 PM
Hezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by milnerpt
I guess I should have posted here first for a good response.... that will teach me to hang out in the 41.

Im up in Seattle... its wet and cold.... but I never really have to worry about weather below 40 on training rides. I can get away with long finger Mechanix gloves or non-insulated long finger gloves.... but boy do my fingers freeze. I do have a pair of REI cycling gloves with some windblock, but I hate anything bulky that affects my hand dexterity.

Last year I was shopping around for a glove that had some insulation (with or without windblock) but kept some dexterity. People were talking about the PI cyclones, but it seemed to have awful seams in the wrong places. However, this year, PI redesigned them and they seem to feel quite different. I also scoped out some Giro Blaze gloves, which fit snug and felt more just like a neoprene skin.

I would appreciate anyone's opinion on the new PI design or the blaze, as both can be had for under 40 bucks. Looking to use them for long/nasty road rides and races (2-4 hours in 40 degree weather) and maybe CX (hence the dexterity and why I used simple mechanix) next year.
I don't think that either of those gloves will keep your hands warm at 40 F degrees when it is wet. I would either go for some thick neoprene gloves like this:

http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/...%2BJDyOLrQE%3D

Or one the the above gloves you described with a cheap neoprene fingerless glove over the top for added insulation.

It might work better to find a cheap thick neoprene glove and cut just the ends of the fingers off. Just a half an inch. So you can feel to brake and shift. That way you have more insulation on most of your hand where you really need it. And more of your fingers will be covered than with convention cycling gloves.

Also, Google neoprene hunting gloves. They are thicker and warmer than cycling specific ones and will keep your hands warmer in wet 40 degrees. Modify the fingers as needed. Either by cutting off just the very ends of the index and middle fingers or by cutting them off further back and using them to cover thin full finger gloves. You don't really need the dexterity in the palms that much. Only the fingers and finger tips.

Last edited by Hezz; 12-27-10 at 03:43 PM.