View Single Post
Old 12-28-10, 12:48 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by simonaway427
Using the above tool (I have the same one), you just push out the pin. But, a few tips:

1) Don't push the pin out ALL THE WAY. Its next to impossible to get it back in, especially using that tool. Push it out just enough that the chain comes apart, and the pin remains in the outer link hole.

2) You'll most likely get a stiff link when you put it back together. That's what the centre slot on the tool is for. Re-insert the pin using the outer slot, then free up the stiff link using the centre slot.
This is the way many of us learned to do it with older chains. It is NOT the correct way to do it with 9 or 10 speed chains (I don't know about 8, having never owned one).

For modern 9 and 10 speed chains (and maybe 8), you MUST use the manufacturer's specified way of re-joining the chain. KMC, SRAM and others use a re-usable (KMC) or one-time (SRAM) link that can be removed without the chain tool illustrated above.

Shimano chains need to be "broken" with the chain tool, but the pin must NOT be re-used. This is because when it is removed the link's holes are distorted a little and the pin is at risk of failing. You do NOT want your chain to fail at the wrong time, it's just not worth half-assing it. You have to insert a special Shimano pin and it must be done correctly, and it's one-time use.

I've heard that Shimano 9 and 10 speed chains can use the SRAM, KMC or Wipperman links, but haven't actually done it myself.

Taking a chain off to clean it is not necessary. Clean it as best you can on the bike and re-lube carefully. That's all you need to do. If you have a chain with an easy to use link, go ahead and remove it to clean, but it's not necessary