View Single Post
Old 12-30-10, 04:59 AM
cranky old dude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bare Feet
First, Congratulations on your DD's recent college graduation and admission to grad school!

As for the empty nest . . I can hardly bear the thought myself. My son moved out years ago already, and that left a big hole in my heart and in the family because he was so much fun to have around. He's 45 mins away and I'd say we see him monthly. One daughter is in her third year of college and she plans to eventually live near her brother. The baby,17, will be off to college before you know it.

NOS88 mentions texting and email to stay in touch with them. Let me suggest in addition: Skype with a webcam- its nice to have the visual and it's free.

Good luck tomorrow, and hug yourselves extra tight.

P.S. Just want to say Cranky, you really are a talented writer.
Thank you very much for the generous compliments!

The Skype idea was spot on as our daughters have been using it for some time now to communicate with each other and freinds. In light of that, I had commissioned our daughters to pick out a webcam with built in microphone as a Christmas gift for the wife. They took the 'Bull by the horns' and purchased and installed the cam right under my brides nose and she was none the wiser. They even downloaded Skype and set up an account for her. Imagine her suprise on Christmas morning when after unwrapping that empty webcam box the girls led her into the den and showed her the 'Setup'!

Though she's a bit skeptical about any new techno-gadgetry, her first lesson on it will come this evening when Karen calls from Chicago. As we put Karen on her train last night she promised to give Mom a call later today while Susan is still home (she flies out tomorrow morning), so they can coach her from both ends of the call.

Barbara leaves for NYC later this morning. I'm sure she'll be on Skype a lot with her mother once she gets her new apartment and Grad School schedule all squared away. Then the bride can teach me how to use it, maybe.

Last edited by cranky old dude; 12-30-10 at 05:36 AM.