Jose Mandez
Bicycles are for Children

Bikes: The kind with two wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brockd15
This is the main reason I don't like them. I've only dealt with a handful of them but I have yet to come across one that I didn't have a problem with. I've never had a problem with a cassette lockring.
I think t depends on how long and hard the bicycle has been ridden since the freewheel was last taken off...on occasion, I've had to fit a good length of pipe on the end of the adjustable wrench and really torque down to get the freewheel off. Since I generally work on only my own bicycles, I ensure that the freewheel threads have a generous amount of lube.

"Bent Axle in wheels that get any larger than 126mm OLD -and even with 126mm they still can get bent easily if you are heavy, ride off-road or otherwise abuse your bike."

Maybe I've just been incredibly lucky in not bending an axle, I'm not sure.

"unless you only have shimano freewheels, sometimes you're out another 10 bucks or at the least a trip to a community bike shop that has 'em."

I've run into this situation before, I usually just fork over $3 for the bike shop to remove the old Suntour freewheel and then just screw a Shimano one on in its place. I believe there are only two kinds of Suntour freewheels, the 2 prong and the 4 prong, I finally broke down and bought the 2 prong remover so I'd have one for my Trek 1100. I'm not sure about Campy, I generally avoid buying anything Campy if I can help it.