Old 01-05-11, 05:51 PM
L.L. Zamenhof

Bikes: Rampar R-One

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...and on the fifth day of 2011, I get hit by a car.

Yes, it's true. Happened about two hours ago.

I was riding home from volunteering when it occurred. I was heading north on one of the main north/south roads in town. Was cruising in the bike lane, pushing for more speed as I had just gone through a (green) light and didn't have another one for a while. As I lift my head, I see a Blazer turn into the gas station who's driveway I was just about to get to.

I have no time to make any move, as she turned probably ten feet in front of me. Boom - right-hooked.

As I remember it happening, I hit her passenger door, and from there went over the handlebar of my bike, sliding on the pavement for a couple feet. After the police got there, I noticed one of them fixing here side view mirror. Apparently my head (I was wearing a helmet) had pushed it forward so it was parallel with the body of the car. Other damage on her car was a scraped and possibly dented passenger door, where my bike and maybe body hit. I was going 18-20 and she was going probably 10. I was lucking I didn't catch her more broadside. As it was, I essentially just glanced off her door onto the pavement.

(Visible) Damage to the bike is minimal, too. Front rim is ****ed up beyond repair, and it seems the front fender is a little bent as well. At first I was panicked about my new tire being damaged, but upon taking it off, it appears there is absolutely no damage. That's it, though. Won't cost more than $40 to get it all fixed up. Or so her insurance thinks.

Now I just have to jump through the insurance hurdles to get my bike fixed. Hopefully this part doesn't take more than a week, maybe ten days. I have no idea though. I've never been in an accident before.

I've been seeing a bunch of people post similar stories since the beginning of the new year, and I never though I would have my own to share. Well, now I do.

Oh, and one thing that was really nice about the accident was how pro bicycle the emergency personnel were. They were very clear about it being her fault, applauded me for wearing my helmet, and wished the best for me. Also, I was told I can go to a local watering hole, mention the name of one of the EMTs and how I met her, and I'll get hooked up.

Last edited by L.L. Zamenhof; 01-05-11 at 06:27 PM.