View Single Post
Old 01-09-11, 08:00 PM
johnMATX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
XTR or Elixir CR brakes

Thru a long chain of events, I have ended up with a brand new pair of both Elixir CR and XTR M975. Due to how the events unfolded, I am into each set at a very favorable price. I am set on selling one set and getting at set of Hope Tech M4. (Hands down IMHO best brakes I have ever had my hands on ) and using the other set on a 2nd bike

I like the way you can bleed, adjust and pre-load the Shimano brakes, but I have read alot of feedback from people who said that XTR were OK but less than pleased with what was in 2010 Shimano's top of the line. Things like the calipers don't always return to full open and will drag a little bit ect.. I know its only 1 site, but 22 reviews on MTBR with a average rating of 3.22 out of 5? I know you will always have some haters, but I would of expected better from the best they have to offer.

The Elixir faired a bit better with 59 reviews with a average of 3.6. I had a set of Elixir fail, so Avid sent me a new set of CRs. I got the original Elixirs on a sweet sale and the shop will allow me to return them and get my original purchase price refunded, but I can ebay or CL them and do better.

One theory is to install them both and see which ones I like better, but then will have to sell them for less and I will just have to add more for the M4s. I really don't want to spend the extra to sell both and get 2 sets of M4s.

To make it easy. if I let you come to my house and pick out 1 pair to keep, that you will have to use not resell, which would you pick to put on your bike?

Thanks