Old 05-28-05, 02:37 PM
GronK

Bikes: Vintage Crescent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crescent

Hello vintage bike buffs! I picked up a Giant Cypress a couple of weeks ago and re-started commuting. Got the bug real good now, so I decided to dig out the old bike I bought at a flea market way back when. It's the Crescent Pepita (?), in all her decaled orange glory. It didn't show signs of much use (the seat is original and shows no wear at all), but I replaced the cables and bars (were way too narrow), put on cheap Kenda 27 x 1 1/4" tires and then stopped riding and lost interest . I intend to use it as an alternate commuter and weekend/errand runner. I have a few questions for you experts.

1. How strong is the frame? Is it up to carrying my 200+ (for now ) pounds around town without bend/breaking?

2. An LBS mech who tuned it up for me had reservations about pumping the Kendas up near their 90lb limits due to the wheels. It has Normandy hubs and Fiamme wheels. Is there any reason to stay conservative on the pressure? Is there another tire you would recommend?

3. Markings on the componentry included "Allvit" on the derailleurs, "AVA" on the bar mount, "tturet" on other parts. Are these adequate, or should I think about replacements?

4. I paid $10 for the bike. Was that too much?

Ron Fanning