Old 01-10-11, 10:11 PM
J Jake

Bikes: Cannondale Super Six

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Proper Bike Frame Size

I am 5'11.5" with a 33" inseam. I would classify myself as having longer arms and being very flexible in my hips, hamstrings, and lower back.

Currently I am riding a 2007 58cm Trek 1000 as my winter "beater bike" and raced last season on a 2010 57cm Fisher Rail Super. I have been fit on both bikes and do not feel aero or aggressive, I feel crunched and unable to really flex and open up.

At my lbs today, I tested a 60cm 2010 Madone 5.2. The salesman was very hesitant to put me on it bc he felt it would be to big, without even giving it a chance. I explained I have been riding a 58 cm for some time and feel crunched. After riding it in the lot, he mentioned my stroke looked good on the 60 but that I looked to be reaching a bit, which I did not feel as I felt comfortable. My plan would be to put a shorter stem on the front and possible a shorter seat stem. However, after a quick spin in the lot I did not feel the 60 frame felt much bigger than my 58 frame. My thinking is that, perhaps, the 2010 madone frame is running a tad small... anyone heard this?

I am going back to the shop tomorrow for a fitting. Does anyone have any advice for me? Does it sound like I need a 58 frame or could I possibly go to the 60? What would be the pro's and/or con's of going to the larger frame? Again I felt comfortable on it, as I felt like I could open up and stretch. My thought would be to put a shorter stem on the handlebars and bring them a bit closer and get aggressive.

Am I way off? Thanks for any help!