Old 01-11-11, 04:45 PM
Yalborap

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First attempt with a Xootr Mg scooter, some thoughts

In my eternal efforts to avoid cars, I've tinkered with a decent few alternatives, including everyone's favorite, the bicycle. But this time, I experimented with the obscure but loved Xootr Mg, a kick-scooter for adults.

First off, I'll say this: It's big. Real big. Stunningly big. Even after seeing pictures, seeing it in person is surprising. But cool.

Second off: It's definitely well built. There're some minor problems, but I suspect those are as much my fault(like the pin that keeps it folded/unfolded sticking) as anything else.

Now then, the ride thoughts:

-You feel the vibrations a LOT. I had to switch legs or take breaks because my knees were being rumbled into agony. This clearly wouldn't be as much of a problem in areas where the sidewalks and roads weren't ****, however.

-The balance is iffy. I suspect this is one of those things I could overcome, but it's very frustrating. The small wheels + relative low speed + innate need to be unbalanced to kick and scoot yourself along = some major squirrelyness, in my experience. This seems more the fault of the scooter form than the Xootr, though.

-It's a lot more work than I expected. Despite only going about a mile, I was a lot more winded than on my bike. To be fair, however, I'm also riding a very awkward course.

So, will it work for my needs or not? I'm...Not sure yet, honestly. It definitely wasn't as nice as I was led to believe by people in better circumstances for it, but I also suspect that a good chunk of it is simply my inexperience with the format. I'll be updating this thread with more thoughts and attempts and such.