View Single Post
Old 01-14-11, 02:46 AM
dsh
Oh, you know...

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Sports Tourer (Polo), S-Works E5 Team Festina (Chorus 11), Trek 2200 Bonded Carbon (Fixed), Trek 920 (7 speed IGH), Chesini Olimpiade SL (1x7)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cc700
i'm going to go ride my bike down the wrong side of the highway, because laws don't apply to bikes! derp!

not surprised chp is making an example... am surprised at Thirteen.

also, don't consent to stuff. if they detain or arrest you then you need to lawyer up right away but for gods sake don't talk to them just because they intimidate you. don't ignore them, and address them when they address you, but don't answer their questions or consent to being searched just because, unless you like having no liberties.
It's always funny when guys say stuff like this.

I mean sure if they're investigating you for murder, or even something like DUI which could be similarly life-changing, you should probably have a lawyer.
But people on the internet say you should take the "be a dick" approach to everything... traffic stops and other mundane stuff included.

A few weeks ago I was riding around the suburbs during a visit to the parent's house for the holidays. It was 1 or 2 in the morning, and I decided to ride through a park on some trails. When I got to the exit there was a cruiser waiting for me, and the cop flagged me down. He asked me where I was coming from and where I was going and stuff, which I absolutely didn't have to tell him. I could have clammed up and asked "AM I FREE TO GO? AM I FREE TO GO? AM I UNDER ARREST?"
To which he probably would have replied:
"Uh... yeah, ok, come to think of it Mr. Law School, you are. For trespassing on federal property. The park closes at dark. You're getting locked up for that tonight. Get in the car."

But instead, I had a conversation with the guy. And explained how I was just riding and saw a path that looked fun and didn't see the "closed at dark" sign, and I wasn't drinking or anything and I was just in town for the holidays, and...
All sorts of information being volunteered in a non-confrontational manner, and so instead what I got was:
"Well, the park closes at dark. That is actually what I'm out here for, to watch out for people trespassing. You could actually get locked up for that tonight. I'm just giving you warning, but be more careful next time."

Obviously according to the law, you aren't supposed to be penalized for refusing to volunteer information or consenting to things. But if you think that's how things work in real life, you are dumb.

By the way CC700, I know your statement was made within the context of "if you are detained or arrested", which isn't what I'm talking about. But it's a general point.