Old 01-14-11, 01:22 PM
rustybrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsh
Wait, so why don't you want cantilever brakes?
I'm not opposed to them, just don't have a set in the parts bin. There's a myriad of calipers, all shapes and sizes at hand.

Just watch craigslist for a mid-90's hookooekoo or stumpjumper or karakoram that someone is cleaning out of their basement and you'll be a lot happier than with a NEXT.
My eyes are certainly peeled, but there's no magic happening in this hood. Everyone thinks their rusted schwinn world sport is worth five hundo, and their Next accrues value over time. Baffling.

I'm actually going to check out my alma matter's surplus auction tomorrow. There might be some potential.

Buy rear wheel with IGH for the peugeot, change wheels when you feel like it. Bammo, two bikes in one.
...might have one in the parts bin.

Does your rear wheel on exhibit B say "pen15 cycles"?
Nah, it says penis.

Building up a Next...? Why not spend $40 and get a decent used frame that doesn't have toy suspension that sops power and components that don't work out of the box.
Just eager for my "next" project.

Could have the monstrosity up and running quickly. Well, maybe not quickly, per se.

Exactly. The Pug was made for 27" wheels, so it has enormous clearances for fat 700c tires. Also the long chainstays and large fork rake leaves plenty of room for fenders while minimizing toe overlap. The rear horizontal dropout instead of track drops makes wheel removal with a rear full fender easy, while still allowing simple chain adjustment w/o a tensioner.
Aye. I've got an set of full fenders off an old townie. Fairly certain they were for 26" tires, though. I'm going to pull them out of the box and see if they can be mocked up with a little bit of persuasion. You're right, there is plenty of room. The wheel gaps look like a set of Alabama shiners.

Should bide the time until tomorrow's surplus auction.