View Single Post
Old 01-14-11, 08:29 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't have to sell the car. Not everyone's life is car-free compatible. I have a car. I've put 44k miles in over 6 years, some people do that in a year or less. I've been thinking about selling it and if I was single I probably would at this point, for the same reason: I could get 2 -3 decent bikes for that money (car's worth about $6k now). But I have already been car-lite for many years, I know for a fact I could live without it. I bough it as a luxury so I can drive out of town on weekends, for leisure mostly. Some people may not be able to live without a car, at least without making some preparations.

So don't sell your car just yet, unless you really want to save money on insurance, gas, etc and you don't care much for the car and you're sure you can live without it.

Over a period of several days write down a thorough list of things you do with the car and see if everything can be done with a bike instead, all year round, in any weather and what other options you have: car service, Zip car, etc. Don't forget emergencies and rare events. What if you get flu or something? How would you get to a doctor in an emergency, stuff like that.

And visit the Living Car Free forum for inspiration.

BTW, more pics of the bike I'm just worrying about the fenders. Does it even have clearance for fenders? I wish I could see one now.

Adam

Last edited by AdamDZ; 01-14-11 at 08:32 PM.