View Single Post
Old 01-15-11, 06:21 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
My main winter project is finished, the 1968 Ranger (built by Philips) 3-speed roadster. When I bought it (cost was $15.00) the frame and tinware was filthy, the wheel rims were oil covered and disgusting, and any other chrome was rust covered. The former owner had done a few odd things to it. The shift lever was in the place normally occupied by the left brake, and both brake levers were on the right hand side. As the bike was in working condition, I tried a test ride with the original setup, and whatever benefits he got from the setup completely escaped me. Also, in place of a bunch of missing cable clips, he duct taped the cable casings in place. Over the years the tape hardened and I ended up using rubbing compound to remove the glue residue from the paint. All chrome reclamation is courtesy of a oxalic acid bath.

Virtually all the parts are the original. I had to replace the pedals (bearings were shot) with the original brand, but probably a couple of years newer as the original pedals didn't have built-in reflectors. Also, the current hand grips are period correct, but not identical in style to the original. The original grips were totally round and symmetrical. Cables and casings were replaced (originals were very discolored, and the original shift casing was white - may be replaced in the near future). I still need a clear plastic facing for the three speed shifter.

I was especially overjoyed that my cleaning of the frame did not damage the decals. The one on the down tube was already trashed thanks to the duct tape.

Originally, I restored this with the intent of taking it to Westminster for resale, although I'm happy enough with it that I may just keep it. It has a very short seatpost (the seat is already set at the absolute limit of extension that can still be clamped down) and is about 1/2" short for me to ride. That should be rectified on my next trip to Re-Cycles. While I can barely fit a 21-1/2" frame, I'm always happier on a 23-1/2". Which is my next search.

Now that it's done, and my abilities to handle a fragile restoration have been well practiced, I've started on the Roger Riviere. That one's going to take some serious time, as it's just as dirty, but in worse condition under the dirt.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Last edited by sykerocker; 01-15-11 at 06:24 PM. Reason: additional information and grammar