View Single Post
Old 01-15-11, 08:37 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Just my take on it but I think if I had that choice, I think it would depend on what kinds of distances I want to do with the bike. For short distances like 4 or 5 miles inside the city, I would be tempted by cheap wheels. For light touring maybe 30 to 60 miles at a time, I decided to buy a Shimano Tiagra hub and WTB Freedom Ryder 23 rim. (My front wheel might be a Deore LX dynamo hub, haven't bought it yet.)

Some people say Shimano hubs are a good bang for the buck. I looked at technical documents of the Shimano 2200, Sora and Tiagra hubs. The 2200 diagrams look like they're not even protected from the elements. Sure, you can use a grease gun to re-grease them but I think that's the only advantage. When I googled Sora, I found a couple of lukewarm reviews but I couldn't even find a Sora hub or wheels built with them so I decided to forget about those. Sure, some people will say that Shimano 105 hubs are superior to Tiagra but the price difference when the Tiagra are on sale is so extreme, I'd only go for 105 if I was hardcore. The Tiagra already have like a quasi-sealed design so I think they're adequate if you wanted to go maybe a couple thousand miles without having to re-grease them from what I read.