scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tip View Post
Thanks for the replies, looks like I'm definitely going to hold out for something else. I saw other people who have converted their old MTB's but they must have started with a much better platform.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. The 500-600 is for the bike + any upgrades it will need. I have all the camping, clothing and other gear already.

I am definitely going to look into this. While not proficient in bikes, I am an auto tech by trade so at least I know how to turn a wrench!

Again, I really appreciate the kind replies... Noobs are chastised quite a bit more on other forums I frequent
Really depends Chances are if you buy a used touring set up you'll still want to look at having it gone through - by yourself or a shop. I was in the same situation with you but with a large family and limited budget I decided to take the "use what I have approach".

I started with a 800 Antelope similar to yours but a little older. Paid $20 for the bike from a customer as it sat in their garage on flat tires. This past summer I paid $50 for a parts haul from a former bike shop owner. Included in that were the drop bars and Suntour bar end shifters. Brakes were a trade from a member of the C&V forum. Rear derailleur was donated by Chris in Miami. Pedals were $4 from a shop in Seattle. The cables, housing and bar tape were new - approximately $20. Finally the new Sugino 26t chainring was $18.

For panniers and racks, I had one but bought a Blackburn MTB rear rack at a garage for $2. I then located a front rack and set of four panniers off Craigslist for $65 and then added a handlebar bag and second front rack from Craigslist for $35. Tires were $30.

So, I'm into the bike right now a little over $200 and I have myself a good dual purpose bike for on road touring and off road camping trips with my kids on some rough roads.

Is it heavy, heck yeah. But it rolls nicely and is stable.
1984 Gitane Sprint; 1984 Gitane Tour de France; 1982 Trek 610; 1968 Peugeot PL8; 1982 Nishiki Marina 12; 1972 Peugeot PX-10; 1987 Trek 800 Antelope (touring/commuting set up); 1993 Trek 950 mtb; 1997 Klein Pulse Comp mtb; 1989 Peugeot Limestone hybrid (for touring); 1975 Gitane Olympic; 1983 Vitus 979; 1989 Spectrum Titanium: