Old 01-18-11, 03:22 AM
slowleak
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mikado Sportster Circa 1980? Seller wants $160

I found this for sale nearby, the brand says Mikado, the model is Sportster. I don't think it's very high end, steel wheels, no tubing decal, and cottered alloy cranks. The derailleurs are all steel Shimano, with stem shifters. The bars are alloy, the brakes are Dia Compe Center pulls.
The seller says he'll throw in a set of extra alloy Ukai rims with sealed bearing Viscount hubs, a pair of Shimano 400 derailleurs, and a clean used Shimano 400 crankset and BB. It's got two new cheap gumwall 27" tires on it now that go with the deal, and a sprung saddle. The bike rides great, feels good and shifts fine as is, but I have little doubt my size and weight will over tax the cheap hubs and steel rims. The wheelset that he's throwing in looks new, and is built with DT Champion SS spokes. I took this for a ride as it sits, even in the snow it felt good. He had it listed at $225 in a nearby newspaper under the free ads, he dropped down in price even with the spare parts. He won't go any further and says he's got $160 in the bike and the spare parts. The bike is in really nice shape, clean paint, no dents, and it looks well kept overall.
I've never run across this brand? The bike is no doubt Asian built, there's a Made in Japan decal at the base of the seat post.
Who sold these? Were they a common brand somewhere else besides here?
Barring any severe weather, I plan to go get it with the truck later on today.