Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cleave
Hi,

Even when I lived in the Northeast, my rule was no riding if it was below 25°F. Colder than that was reserved for running or skiing. However, back then, we didn't have all of this high tech, cold weather clothing.
Cleves,

I do have the proper clothing. I wore a base layer, LS Under Armor heat gear, my team jacket, short sleeve team wind breaker, Pearl Izumi heavy tights, wool socks, shoe covers,Head Sweat fleece skull cap and winter gloves. For hydration I put one bottle in my back pocket and had A 50oz Camelback under the wind breaker with the hose running under my arm. About 1:45 into the ride I changed gloves for a dry pair.

I didn't feel like I had too much on and was never hot or cold, I could have skipped the wind breaker but wore it to keep the Camelback from freezing, a problem I had several times recently. Putting the Camelback under the jacket was too confining and I would have had to leave the zipper down some. As it turned out I needed to hide the head inside the windbreaker as exposing it just 2" was allowing it to freeze.