View Single Post
Old 01-18-11, 04:17 PM
custermustache

Bikes: 1968 Falcon San Remo 1973 Raleigh International, 1974 Schwinn Suburban, 1987 Schwinn High Sierra, 1992 Univega Ultraleggera, 2007 Dahon Vitesse DH7G

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since you're the expert, tell us how one gets across I-35, 635, Bush Turnpike or the Trinity River with ease. Frankly, if you know much about Dallas, getting across any of those freeways on a bike is very difficult.
I can only tell you how I cross where I cross. I don't need to cross every major highway in my commute, and I'm sure that no one does. That being said, there is a bike trail that runs under the 75/635 interchange that I use to cross 635.

I cross Bush Turnpike at Plano road, riding with traffic. I also cross GWB at Alma or Custer, depending where I am headed.

635 and GWB are easy crosses. In fact, Richardson is building a protected crossing under 75.

I have no need to cross 35, but if you tell me where you are headed from and to I could find a smaller street, I'm sure. The Trinity likewise. There are plenty of smaller streets that cross both.

Dallas absolutely doesn't suck for riding bikes. It sounds like you are scared, and that sucks for you, but there are plenty of us who ride all over and have no problems. Sure, it' s not some hippie village like Taos, but it is a great place to live AND ride. Given a choice between the two, I'd choose Dallas all day long.