View Single Post
Old 01-18-11, 09:01 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 503 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbossman
OK - off-topic relative to bikes, but sort of on-topic in relation to C&V.

I just put the finishing touches on some major updates to my home theater/stereo system. Had to search a bit for a decent A/V Receiver with analog pre-amp outputs and phono outs - auditioned a few, bought one/sent it back, and finally made my selection.

The ~15 year old ADCOM GFA-555II, which has been switched off for a decade, is on the bench at the local stereo repair place getting turned up slowly and reconditioned on the Variac. It is preparing for a starring role as the primary driver for the two main speakers.

(As an aside - the owner, Steve, went to high school with and is friends with Grant Peterson)

After ~10 years sitting dark, my turntable is up and spinning. I just finished listening to the B side of the album E.C. Was Here.

It was............. NICE.
By reconditioned on the Variac, you mean the capacitors are getting reformed by being powered up slowly, or the tech is just treating everything very gently until it's clear that the circuit is sound?

What TT, arm, and cartridge do you have? I have a dormant VPI original model, with an Eminent Technology arm and a Shure V15 Mk V.