Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
ok
Thanks 10 Wheels, I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by Velo Gator
I'm all for supporting the LBS, but don't lose sleep over it. They wouldn't do the same for you
Thanks a lot Velo, I appreciate it. You're right of course. The hard sell approach definitely doesn't work on me, but I'm a bit of a sucker for a soft touch. And I'm neurotic enough that I was actually losing sleep over it. Just for clarification, I am still buying from a LBS, just not my usual LBS.

Originally Posted by rdtompki
This is a common issue. When my wife and I got back into cycling two years ago I bypassed the only bike shop in our small town, shopped hard and bought two Giant OCR1. Now, these aren't bad bikes and we're almost exclusively riding our tandem, but my wife's bike simply couldn't be made to fit her. I assuaged my conscience and bought a CF bike from the LBS and did pay (quite) a bit more. Sold her OCR1 in unused condition for 1/2 price. Definitely a first bike purchase needs to be done by someone who will take the time to ensure a proper fit and be there when things need adjusting. The local guy is very good, quick turnaround and inexpensive so I want to keep him in business.

I still ride my OCR1 although the fit is less than ideal, but it's fine for 100K or so. Only downside besides the fit is that after 5000+ miles on a steel tandem, I wouldn't buy another stiff Aluminum frame single if you paid me.
I test rode a lot of bikes at the end of last summer and into the fall with the intent of buying something in the late fall through the winter, including a 2008 Giant TCR C3, which as I understand it is basically the same model (but a new name) of the bike I'm buying now. It was by far my favourite bike of any of the bikes I did test rides on, including an Orbea Onix, so I didn't buy the bike without having any experience on it. But I agree with you about the importance of buying from a shop that will help you fit to the bike, and if you don't, then make it right.

Originally Posted by surgeonstone
If it's a really good LBS, they will understand and not take it personally.
I hope not- I still plan on using that LBS to do any tune ups that I need, and it's where I am planning on buying the accessories I will need for the bike (pedals, water bottle cages, saddle bag, tubes, patch kit, CO2 inflator, etc).

Originally Posted by 531phile
I tested out a bike at my LBS just so I could see if I would like the SRAM doubletap shifters. They didn't have any steel or titanium bikes so I knew I wouldn't buy from them. I did make it clear that I just wanted to see if I like the shifters. They were helpful either way. I felt guilty though, especially when I brought my bike that I got online to get adjusted. But later on I didn't feel so bad because I get my bikes serviced there so they still get my business in one form or another.
Your post made me realize I'm probably worrying a lot about nothing. If they had've had a bike I wanted to buy, I would've bought from them happily- they just didn't. I bought my other bikes from them because they did have bikes I wanted to buy. I'll continue giving them my business for other things, as long as I'm living in the twin cities.