Old 01-21-11, 01:11 PM
Chris Pringle

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '06 Specialized Epic Marathon MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDazed View Post
I've decided on the 700c route, the last 2 bikes I've had used 27" wheels and they are fragile and can only find used ones for replacements. I thought 700c were bigger than 27"? Didn't know they were interchangeable. I bought fenders for 700c that don't fit on my bike AT ALL, with its 27 inchers.
27" rims are slightly larger than 700c, but tires are NOT interchangeable. The only thing you can use on both are inner tubes. If you're going to get a used frame for touring, definitely build it with 700c as you indicate. If you ever decide to take the bike to foreign destinations you won't have problems getting replacement tires with 700c (you will with 27"). The Surly Cross Check sounds like a good frame and I know some people use it for touring. Just remember that building a bike from just the frame is going to cost you a lot more than buying one fully built. If you are also going to be relying on a bike shop to do the labor for you, then the final price may not be worth the actual value of the bike. The one thing you'll get is the satisfaction of having a bike built with all the components of your choice which is something you may actually very much enjoy. You may be doing tons of research choosing components and buying parts at a good price. Consider 2-3 months to get the bike fully built.

Last edited by Chris Pringle; 01-21-11 at 01:19 PM.