View Single Post
Old 01-23-11, 02:09 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
If it's like me, it was the bike shorts.

I have a third testicle.

I first noticed it while touring in France in 2003. It sort of put a damper on enjoying the riding as the idea of cancer coursed through my mind.

The first doctor I saw about it when I got home just did a physical, hands-on examination, then related a story about how an Italian family had three balls as their family symbol. He said it had to do with inflammation of the vas on the side of the testicle. It was a lot more common that I would imagine, he said.

I had noticed in France that my shorts let my right testicle sort of bobble around a bit, and this evidently was enough to cause the irritation.

Last year, I had another consultation with another doctor, who sent me for an ultrasound just to make sure. It was interesting to see the difference between the testicular tissue and the tissue in the false ball that had grown on the right one... there was s sort of cascading of "glitter" on the screen in that area. The glitter was actually dead cells.

Anyway, all was good according to the ultrasound. I didn't need to do anything else.

Be aware that the pads in bike shorts come in different widths depending on the manufacturer. I was wearing New Zealand Cima shorts back in 2003, but now I wear Pearl Izumis because the pads are just the right dimension to keep my testicles nicely packaged without flopping sideways, and to look after my butt.

I have found only one other brand that has a similar width chamois, and they will likely do for training as the PIs are reserved for long-distance events and touring.

That's my contribution to the discussion. I am not connected with the medical industry in any way, and I am just recounting my personal experience where similar pain existed when the issue manifested itself.

As a by-the-by, because I live in Australia where we have a really healthy public medical care system, the second doctor's consults and ultrasound cost me... around $150 out of pocket.