Bike Forums - View Single Post - mid 70s Miyata, top of the line?
View Single Post
Old 05-31-05, 02:09 PM
s70rguy
presto, pronto, prego!

Bikes: Dave Lloyd custom, Brands SLX, Visser Vainqueur, XACD ti custom, Hewitt Scandium, Presto 1972, and more ...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mid 70s Miyata, top of the line?

I got interested in this bike because of the stem with the ‘holes’ in it; couldn’t make out much more in the pic in the ad. And the price was 25 euro’s, that too of course.

What did I get: a fully first generation, black anodized Dura Ace/Crane equipped Miyata bike (less front hub), with that lovely SR two bolt seatpost and the mysterious ‘superlight’ SR Royal stem. Unfortunately the whole assembly is in a sorry state. Been left out in the rain too often I suppose.

The vintage would be 1977, or possibly 1976: the seatpost says 76.10, the cranks have the letters ‘Z B’ on them. This could even a 1975 production run.

Now here’s the interesting part. I was ready to chuck the frame as so much more scrap metal, until I had a better look:
. steep geometry: 74 or even 75 degree parallel frame, 58 c-t, 56,5 c-c (exactly my size!!), 985 mm wheelbase
. vertical rear drop outs
. lugs with cut outs
. nice rear brake bridge
. bb shell with extensive cut outs
. it feels pretty light!
The only indication of the quality of the tubing are the stickers on the front forks: ‘4140 chrome molybdenum’.
Would anyone hazard a guess as to the type and quality of the tubing, and the frame as a whole? To me it’s obviously a better quality build than the usual run of the mill mass-produced (Koga) Miyata. However, is it hand built? Is it race quality?

This bike is from the Netherlands, but is pre-Koga, so I hope that the US based Miyata experts can help me on this one! Have a look at the pics, tell me your thoughts!