Old 01-25-11, 07:54 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2851 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 34 Posts
I rode the Great Southern Randonnee, a 1200K randonnee, in 2004 (Rowan rode it too, but not with me), and along the way I noticed a few places where I thought I'd like to spend a bit more time.

So, now that I've moved to Australia, Rowan and I have spent a long weekend in the Grampians doing a hub-and-spoke tour, and a long-long weekend at Port Fairy doing a hub-and-spoke tour, and we've been in the Anglesea area doing a 150 km ride in the daylight along the Great Ocean Road ... all places along the route of the Great Southern Randonnee. It was really nice to see those areas again, in daylight, at a more relaxed pace.

When I toured Australia in 2004, before and after the Great Southern, it was rather a high-speed tour ... not much time for lingering anywhere. But there were areas I wanted to see again.

So when I came back to Australia in 2008 to visit Rowan, we did an 8-day tour down to Wilson's Prom and back ... that was one of the places I wanted to see again. We've been down in that general area several times now for hub-and-spoke tours, Audax Australia events, etc. And I've been eyeing that vicinity for a weekend trip sometime before the end of summer. It's a beautiful area.

3 weeks of the 2004 tour were spent in Tasmania ... and not long after I got here in 2009, Rowan and I returned to Tasmania for 3 weeks and travelled to many of the places I'd cycled (and a lot more). The 2009 tour, however, was all done by van ... I was recovering from a serious case of DVT which had landed me in hospital for 2 weeks, and walking slowly for short distances was about all I could manage. But it was interesting driving somewhere rather than cycling ... we covered a lot more distance ... and some of the hills didn't seem quite as challenging as they seemed when I cycled it! I think it can be good to see an area via different methods of transportation.

Those are all Australian examples ... I could go on about Canadian examples too.