Old 01-26-11, 02:45 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Garilia
I'm not keen about riding on US 27 for very long, although I know a guy who does solo road rides up 27 from Pembroke Pines to Lake Okeechobee.

That levee ride around Holiday Park sounds interesting.
27 is pretty hairy, I ride the segment between Griffin & 75 sometimes on the weekends and it's a bit disconcerting to have 18-wheelers whizzing past at 70+ The shoulder is much wider north of 75 though there's a lot of debris. I'd like to try the run up to Lake O soon.

Originally Posted by bobthib
Chris, thanks for the insights and the info on the Holiday park loop. Since I'm new to unpaved levee riding I'm not sure what to expect effort wise. I'm used to roads, and 13 mi seems too short of a ride. It would take me that long to drive there.

It will be good to know when I have visitors though because that's a good distance for a slow scenic ride with some casual bikers.
Believe it or not, I usually take about 2.5-3 hours on the 13-miler when I have a group with me. There's a long stretch where you have to choose the best path from a mix of grassy or rocky surface. Coupled with the wind across the river of grass, it can really slow you down.

I'd be pretty reluctant to ride the Atlantic to Sawgrass leg on a tandem unless you've got a full suspension, it's the roughest section (though I noticed that they recently graded the section along 75, maybe they reworked that section too?)

Still, it's a really cool way to get out of our endless suburbia...