Old 05-31-05, 08:42 PM
JimmyZ

Bikes: '95 Trek Y 22, '72 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Schwinn Varsity project bike info

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I was out riding a couple of weeks ago and happened by a garage/yard sale and bought a Schwinn Varsity for 10 bucks from an older guy who found it in a dumpster 3 or 4 years ago, who never got around to fixing it up.

Don't know what year it is, but it is yellow with black lettering, ten speed with Weinmann/Schwinn approved brake levers and the badge on the headtube and the sticker on the seattube says Chicago at the bottom if that helps. No signs of frame stress or cracks, although it could stand a new paint job. Rims need some adjustments but they look and feel solid. I've already replaced the cables and sleeves and rewrapped the handlebars as well as replaced the brake pads. All it needs now are some adjustments to the brakes and shifters, some new tubes and tires and a chain and an overall good cleaning. I am planning on rebuilding it to roadworthy status to use as a just around town bike and eventually get it repainted back to it's showroom look. It has a few spots on the frame where the primer is showing through.

The guys at my local Schwinn shop had no clue what year it was made so i thought someone here might know. I was wondering if maybe someone here had one or could identify the year by looking at it. I've included pictures of the frame, the headbadge and the shiftlevers. Apologies in advance for the quality though($30 digital camera). If anyone has any info i'd appreciate it and will keep ya posted on the rebuild.