KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by reelfishin
Good link, I think that's the first I've ever laid eyes on a Lotus catalog. I've owned two bikes and info on them is scarce to say the least.
For being within 100 miles of what the company listed as it's headquarters there are very few of these around.
The few I've owned and seen over the years were fine looking bikes. I always sort of thought of Lotus along the ranks of Nishiki and Centurion. Although Lotus wasn't a Japanese company, the bikes were built by Tsunoda who was and still is a respected bike maker.
I'll never understand why any entry level bike gets kicked around so hard here and on other forums. As far as I know the Challenger was a good ride, I don't recall ever hearing of any issues with any of the Lotus bikes as far as quality, the two I've owned were certainly comparable to any other Japanese built bike I've seen, maybe even a bit better in some respects. Its not as if were talking about a department store Huffy or Murray here.
Its been my experience that many lower end or entry level bikes make the best daily riders. After all, how long would a minty clean Raleigh Pro or any Schwinn Paramount last locked up out on the street while you grocery shop? How about those rides that take you down dirt roads full of what every last nights partiers tossed out the window? I doubt many would run a high dollar set of tubular tires over that type of surface, or for those in Philly, try riding over cobblestones or trolley tracks. Bikes like the old Schwinn Varsity and other steel wheel rides sure to a lot better in those conditions than do the high end highly sought after rides. I as someone who owns several dozen old bikes, mostly old road bikes from the 70's, I find myself more apt to ride a lesser model or mid range model bike before chancing damage or theft to something high end.
I'm a Philly guy and have some fairly high end bikes. I'm not going to debate tubulars with you because I happen to agree...but none of my bikes have them. It isn't that hard to find quality clincher wheel sets...or to build some up. As far as theft goes, I've commuted and lived in Philly for 8 years...and I've never lost a bike. Lock them up correctly, don't leave them over night, don't lock it outside in the same place during work. Follow common sense rules and you're fine. I also lock my bikes at parking garages the times I'll be leaving them for over a few hours...tip the guy a buck or two and you're golden.

As far as road condition, trolley tracks, etc...road bikes are able to handle the roads in Philly just fine...even the cobble stone of olde city. We also, as I'm sure you know, have a lot of bike paths here. Yes...flats are an issue...but flats are going to be an issue with any bike or tire you use here. Patching a tube isn't very expensive or time consuming.