View Single Post
Old 01-29-11, 10:27 AM
Otis

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by vjp
On Monday evening at my in-laws place for dinner my father in-law asked if I would like his stereo system up in his studio (painter) because they are thinking of moving and want to start to downsize. He has it set up in a spare closet, an Oracle turntable, two McIntosh amps (black glass), a Denon turntable and Advent speakers. And a 1,000 + LP's, many of which are direct to disc (mostly classical).

I am thinking that I could sell it on CL and buy a winter beater

Wow, I don't even want to think about it!! I told him that they are probably worth a lot and I want him to take some time and re-consider. He said that he had thought about it and he wants me to have it. If we have room!

I'll make room, time for my 18yo to move out!!

vjp
Take it and do not sell it. My life revolves around buying and selling old stuff in order to pay my bills and buy other old stuff. But a gift is a gift. I've sold countless pieces of vintage audio equipment over the last 35 years, but I still have a McIntosh 240 amp a cool old guy gave me when I was about 15 years old. I was admiring it in his workshop and he said, "go ahead and take it, just don't sell it." I never will, and still use it everyday.