View Single Post
Old 01-30-11, 06:27 PM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I read the old thread that Neil bumped first and then this one. I'm new here and on my own journey. I am very thankful that I don't struggle with alcohol addiction and am one of those that can enjoy a drink or two on occasion without worry. My closest friend in my adult life was a recovering alcoholic and had celebrated 2 years sobriety not long before he received the diagnosis of the scariest word in the English language - Cancer... AA is a wonderful organization and along with family and a few of his musician friends, they were right there with him until the end. At his funeral, several of them spoke of his help to them even while he was dying. Recovery for him was particularly miraculous because he was a singer in a funk/jam band, in which I played bass guitar, so we were in bars several nights a month, but the bartenders knew to just put a pot of coffee on for Brian and he'd be good. I saw tremendous personal growth in him as he got further along in recovery; reconciling old relationships, even marrying his true love whom he had dumped for a woman 15 years younger than him just a year earlier because she lived on a lake and that meant better parties...

You are an inspiration to many people and admitting your alcoholism and seeking help for it is the hardest step you'll ever make, but the best. Now, you can LIVE!