View Single Post
Old 01-31-11, 09:29 PM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
My vintage touring bike:

'84ish Nishiki Riviera GT. Completely original except B17, Bell Streetster tires (soon to be swapped for 27" Paselas), and temporary bar tape. As-is, I'd have few reservations about taking it from one end of the state to the other, but would appreciate another gear or two (it's a 3X5 now, would love to make it a 3X6 or 7).

'89 Fuji Palisade. This is my all-day long distance bike. Weinmann single-walled rear wheel, Shimano HG 6 speed freewheel, Shimano Tourney derailers front and rear (new-style), Suntour, friction/6/7 speed shifters (set to friction), Dia Compe brake levers, Araya front wheel, Shimano 175mm crankset wearing 28X36X48 rings, Brooks B17N, and Alongha dual pull calipers. The only thing stock on it is the frame, headset, bars, and stem. It's set up for all-day comfort, but the B17 has yet to break in and is killing my back. Thus, it's currently on the trainer. It's now rocking Cheng Shin 27X1-1/8 tires, as I can't fit any wider under fenders, but I'm wanting to go with Pasela 1-1/8 tires for the summer riding season.

Last but certainly not least:

Going fenderless here, but now rocking PB hybrid fenders, we have a 93ish Univega Activa Trail, sporting the original wheels, bars, and stem. Dia Compe brake levers, Shimano cantilevers (though I'm wanting to go with V-brakes and Tektro V-brake levers). Suntour ratcheting bar-end shifters, Kenda 700X38 tires, and mostly stock Suntour XCM drivetrain, with the exception of the triple. I pulled the threading out of the drive side, and swapped the whole deal out with a cheapy crankset from an X-mart brand Mountain Bike. Think it was a Mongoose... Anyway, it's last ride (which ate the original freewheel, BTW), was about 70 miles on paved/dirt roads, fire trails, swamp, etc. So I guess this is my LD cyclocross bike?

Oh yeah, and in May, I'm taking this guy 80 miles over two days:

Probably not very long distance, but for a 40lb English 3 speed, it seems a rather herculean task to undergo at once. Next year, I'll probably be taking the Lenton Tourist to the Pepin, assuming I can get the fork straightened...